Monday 14 July 2014

I Cut and I Bleed

******TRIGGER WARNING******

            When I was a child and I heard the other kids in my class talk about people they knew that would ‘cut’ themselves; I never understood. I don’t think that I really knew what they meant. I saw how you could cut bread, meat, fish and even chocolate if you so wished but to cut yourself; that never made any sense to me. How do you go about doing that? Why would you do that? I had been hurt by somebody else every day for years; why would someone turn on themselves like that? For the longest time, I didn’t understand.
The day I wrote my teacher’s name on my left hand with my compass in maths was a day when I came close to understanding. Nothing seemed to make any sense to me right then. I had been told repeatedly to see my Head of Year every Tuesday at lunchtime so that she could make sure I was alright. I’m still not sure she really did anything beyond satisfying some small doubt within her. I’d already told her things were happening at home and nothing was done. I think this was my cry for help. I needed somebody to notice me; to see what was happening that I couldn’t voice. Telling the family secrets was and is forbidden; I’m sure they’ll come after me soon. I turned on myself in my time of need to show something concrete that the teachers could see. If they saw me doing this to myself, then maybe they’d believe what I was saying and I would get some help; somebody would take me away from that hellhole. But nobody did.
Now, I can see the beauty of cutting yourself. I have always loved colouring in. Cutting yourself is like colouring in your own body. There is a satisfaction in it that cannot adequately be explained. It was difficult for me the first few times that I cut myself. I didn’t know how to; how do you just go ahead and cut yourself? It’s not something that comes naturally when your every instinct is to protect your body from harm. I tried with scissors more than once but that doesn’t do a lot. It helped a little. I had some brief respite from the emotional pain ripping me apart.
It’s fascinating to me that a kitchen knife can so easily cut through an onion, with so many layers and a potato with such a solid interior but human skin? Human skin is tough; unyielding to the touch of the cool, steel blade. I cut at my arm like I would cut some bread but after an hour, I am still only just beneath the surface and it looks more like a burn than anything else. I did not realise than an hour had passed until the programme that I was watching finished. I had been methodically carving at my flesh, backwards and forwards; backwards and forwards. When the hour had passed, I put the knife away and I cleaned my cuts, bandaged my arm like anybody would. The black ball of pain inside of my heart had become a little smaller. It is harder to feel emotional pain when you have a pain that is physical; a pain that can be seen and understood by all and yet I had felt nothing when I cut into my arm so violently for so long. There was no pain. The physical pain had cancelled out the emotional pain and I was left hollow, like the tree hit by lightning with no hope of growth. I was there and I existed but I was not me. There was no feeling. There was no light and there was no dark. I existed but I saw nothing. I heard nothing. I was numb to the pain and numb to the world. I can only hope I passed out after that.
The real danger for me right now is that I am not frantic and I am not fidgety. I am calmly contemplating the next brutal act I will perform on myself at the bequest of My Monster. He has left me alone during the days and haunted my dreams with his face and his soul-destroying voice. He knows how to get to me. He knows that the intense fear will be greater inside me if I am calm when he speaks to me. I am better able to protect myself against him when I fidget because there is a part of me that is still in control; a part of me that knows cutting myself is stupid and wrong. When I am calm, I have already rationalised the act. I can see the relief from the pain that eats me alive; from the unheard cries caught in my throat. I can feel the horror swell within in me because I know what must be done and I know that it is well deserved for being such a failure; for being a disgrace to my family; for being born at all.
When I am calm, I welcome the sweet release of the blade against my flesh. I welcome the sight of the blood as it trickles down my arm and into the sink. As the blood mixes with the water, it swirls and the patterns that appear are pretty; worthy of being remembered, somebody should capture that moment. It does not scare me that I will lose blood and it does not scare me that I could go too far. Whatever happens will be whatever is deserved. There must always be blood loss in a war and while I cannot reach him to bleed him to the death he so surely deserves; the blood loss must be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment